ügy = matter, business (for more words with “gy” check out our special gy-list here )
ügyes = skilled, skillful
-tlen = suffix meaning “without”
ügyetlen: à clumsy (≈without skills)
Ha ideges vagyok elkezdek ügyetlenkedni.
I’m getting clumsy when I’m nervous.
[If nervous am-I start-I being-clumsy.]
Az ügyetlen emberekhez sok türelem kell.
Inept people require a lot of patience.
[The inept people-to many patience need.]
ügy – matter, business, cause (literally, “ügyetlen” translates to matter- / causeless)
note that the suffixes “-tlen” & “-tlan” almost always refer to the lack of something, similar to the English “-less” or “un-“: hibátlan – faultless, mosatlan – unwashed, éretlen – immature
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)