Loose, wide, elaborate
Mivel leginkább combra hízok, a bő szoknyák nekem jobban állnak.
Since I gain weight mostly on my thighs, I look much better in wide skirts.
[Since mostly thigh-on gain-weight-I, the wide skirts for-me better stay-they.]
Ezt el tudnád légy szíves mondani bővebben?
Could you please elaborate on that?
[This away could-you please (légy szíves means “please”, but literally it’s “be heart-y” / have a heart) say more-elaborately?]
szűk – tight, narrow
tágas – spacious
kitágul – to widen
kitágult – puffed out
laza – loose, casual, cool (also used for “cool” people)
széles – wide, broad, thick (only applied to tangible nouns, like a broad street or a thick wall)
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)