A szépségnek ára van.
Beauty has its price.
[The beauty-for price-its exists.]
Egy lakás ára már szinte megfizethetetlen Budapesten.
Flat prices are nearly impossible to pay in Budapest.
[A flat price-its already almost unpayable Budapest-in.]
áru – ware, goods, commodity, article, product
árul – to sell, but also: to betray (to “sell someone”)
árulkodik – to disclose something, to snith
Not to be confused with:
árt – to harm
áram – electricity
kár – Pity!, damage (n.)
vár – fortress, to wait
jár – to walk
tár – storage, to open widely
bár – “If only…”
cár – tsar
már – already
pár – pair, couple
sár – mud
zár – to lock, to close
Did you like today’s word? Do you have a favourite memory hook for it or do you get it into your brain in a completely different way? Did we miss something in the explanation?
Share your thoughts, word visualizations or learning tips below in the comments and remember, the more you use a new word, the easier it will stick in your memory!
Wanna learn more?
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Learn the Hungarian Present Tense (in 30 Minutes)
- Mini Hungarian Lesson: Everything You Need to Know about “Meg”
- 23 Awesome Hungarian Words that Don’t Exist in English
- 35 Good Reasons You Should Bother Learning Hungarian
- Learn Hungarian Passively: 8 Ways to integrate Hungarian into your Everyday-Life
- Learn the Hungarian Numbers in 9 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)
- Learn the Hungarian Alphabet in 4 Easy Steps (with Pronunciation)